What are the causes of insulin resistance?
- Excess weight with a BMI > or = to 25
- Physical inactivity
- Underlying genetics – a family history of DM Type II
- Ethnicity – Asian American, African American, Hispanic American, American Indian and Pacific Islander
- A Hx of gestational DM or if you have given birth to a baby weighing more than 9 lbs.
- If you have polycystic ovarian syndrome
- You have high blood pressure
- You have a low HDL below 35 or a Triglyceride level above 250 mg/dl
- Certain diseases – Acromegaly, Cushing’s syndrome, Hyperthyriodism, Steroid Use, Sleep Apnea, cigarette smoking
Remember: the blood sugars only go up if the Beta cells of the pancreas can’t meet the need!